Passar para o conteúdo principal

Visa and Residence Permit

Visa and Residence Permit

European Union (EU) Citizens: you need to travel with a valid national Identity Card or a valid Passport and the European Health Insurance Card.

Non-European (Non-EU) Citizens: 

  • For stays longer than three months and up to one year, non-EU students need to apply for a Student Visa in their home country or country of residence before entry into Portugal. A Student Visa may take up to 2-3 months to be completed. While staying in our country students will be required to renew their Student Visas.
  • For stays longer than one year, non-EU students need a Residence Permit. In order to apply for a Residence Permit students need to have completed and entered a Resident Visa into their passport before entry into Portugal. You can apply for the Resident Visa at a Portuguese embassy or a Portuguese consulate in your home country or in your country of residence. Residence Permits take between 3 weeks to a month to be issued by our authorities.

The authority in Portugal responsible for these issues is the Foreigners and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras)

Depending on your nationality, duration of your stay and the type of service you are applying for, some or all of the following standard documents may be required:

  • Passport valid for 3 months after your date of return and with at least one blank visa
  • Completed SEF application form
  • Two color passport-size photographs
  • Copy of itinerary with confirmed reservation or Acceptance Letter issued by CATÓLICA-LISBON
  • Proof of departure arrangements
  • Proof of sufficient means of support
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Portuguese Criminal Record
  • Address Confirmation
  • Proof that you have no debts at Universidade Católica Portuguesa  

More Information:


Visa/Permit Appointment Request

Click here to book your appointment at SEF

Student Visa Renewal

Further information:  If you require more information please check SEF’s website.