Passar para o conteúdo principal

Visa and Residence Permit

Visa and Residence Permit

European Union (EU) Citizens: you need to travel with a valid National Identity Card or a valid Passport and the European Health Insurance Card.

Non-European (Non-EU) Citizens: 

  • For stays longer than three months and up to one year, non-EU students need to apply for a Student Visa in their home country or country of residence before entering Portugal. A Student Visa may take up to 2-3 months to be completed. While staying in our country students may be required to extend their Student Visas.
  • For stays longer than one year, non-EU students need a Resident Permit. In order to apply for a Residence Permit, students need to have completed and entered a Resident Visa into their passports before entering Portugal. You can apply for the Resident Visa at a Portuguese Embassy or Portuguese Consulate in your home country or in your country of residence. Residence Permits take between 3 weeks to a month to be issued by our authorities.
  • Non- EU students that are holders of a residence permit for study purposes in a higher education institution of an EU member state, that intend to participate in an international mobility program, like Erasmus+, can inform the Portuguese Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), within a maximum of 30 days before the beginning of their program, that they will be traveling to Portugal to participate in the aforementioned program. This communication can be made by e-mail, including additional documentation, plus the corresponding travel tickets (arrival and departure) for the period of mobility. After you comply with this procedure, SEF will issue you an official entry form stating that you are allowed to stay until a maximum of 360 days.   

The authority in Portugal responsible for these issues is the Foreigners and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras)

Depending on your nationality, duration of your stay, and the type of service you are applying for, some or all of the following standard documents may be required:

  • Passport valid for 3 months after your date of return and with at least one blank visa
  • Completed SEF application form
  • Two passport-size color photographs
  • Copy of itinerary with confirmed reservation or Acceptance Letter issued by CATÓLICA-LISBON
  • Proof of departure arrangements
  • Proof of sufficient means of support
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Portuguese Criminal Record
  • Address Confirmation
  • Proof that you have no debts at Universidade Católica Portuguesa  

More Information:


Visa/Permit Appointment Request

Click here to book your appointment at SEF

Student Visa Renewal

Further information:  If you require more information please check SEF’s website.