Visa and Residence Permit
European Union (EU) Citizens: you need to travel with a valid national Identity Card or a valid Passport and the European Health Insurance Card.
Non-European (Non-EU) Citizens:
- For stays longer than three months and up to one year, non-EU students need to apply for a Student Visa in their home country or country of residence before entry into Portugal. A Student Visa may take up to 2-3 months to be completed. While staying in our country students will be required to extend their Student Visas.
- For stays longer than one year, non-EU students need a Residence Permit. In order to apply for a Residence Permit students need to have completed and entered a Resident Visa into their passport before entry into Portugal. You can apply for the Resident Visa at a Portuguese Embassy or a Portuguese Consulate in your home country or in your country of residence. Residence Permits take between 3 weeks to a month to be issued by our authorities.
- Non- EU students that are holders of a residence permit for study purposes in a higher education institution of an EU member state, that intend to participate in an international mobility program, like Erasmus+, can inform the portuguese Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), within a maximum of 30 days before the beginning of their program, that they will be travelling to Portugal to participate in the aforementioned program. This communication can be made by e-mail, including additional documentation, plus the corresponding travel tickets (arrival and departure) for the period of mobility. SEF will then inform you that you have 3 days upon your arrival to schedule a SEF meeting to fill in and deliver your official entrance form. After you comply with this procedure, SEF will issue you a declaration stating that you are allowed to stay until a maximum of 360 days.
The authority in Portugal responsible for these issues is the Foreigners and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras).
Depending on your nationality, duration of your stay and the type of service you are applying for, some or all of the following standard documents may be required:
- Passport valid for 3 months after your date of return and with at least one blank visa
- Completed SEF application form
- Two color passport-size photographs
- Copy of itinerary with confirmed reservation or Acceptance Letter issued by CATÓLICA-LISBON
- Proof of departure arrangements
- Proof of sufficient means of support
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Portuguese Criminal Record
- Address Confirmation
- Proof that you have no debts at Universidade Católica Portuguesa
Visa/Permit Appointment Request
Student Visa Renewal
Further information: If you require more information please check SEF’s website.